Dr. Squatch Soap

 

    If you have used any type of social media in the the last year and a half I am sure you have seen at least one Dr.Squatch ad. When I saw one of the instructions for this assignment was to find at least three comments on the business of choice's social media account, I knew I had to do Dr.Squatch since they respond very often to people on their posts. I was interested in their soaps because a friend of mine said they loved the soap, but it came with one caveat that I will touch on later in this blog.  

    So what makes Dr.Squatch soap so special? What kind of value do they offer to their customers? Well, Dr.Squatch is all about making natural soaps for men that smell great and don't having any harsh chemicals in them like a standard bar of soap. Dr. Squatch was founded in 2013 by Jack Haldrup, and the company has now sold millions of soap bars in the United States. 

Here's a short video from them that was shown in the last Super Bowl.


When I go to the official Dr.Squatch Instagram page I see nothing but positive things being said about their products. Literally hundreds of positive things on almost every post.





    These are only three examples, but most of the comments look like this. People saying they ordered bars, started a subscription, or people giving them suggestions on new scents they would like to see in the future.

In the beginning, Dr.Squatch was only selling bars of soap since the company was started when Jared Haldrup was making bars of soap by hand. Fast forward to 2021 and now they are making deodorant, hair care products, toothpaste, and have even collaborated with Star Wars to make a limited collection of soap bars.




    I think Dr.Squatch is doing something remarkable. Their goal is to make good smelling natural soaps for men that are less harmful to your skin than normal soaps. They also make interesting scents like pine tar, bay rum, and birchwood breezes to name a few. However, they do face one big challenge and that is the price of their products.

    One bar of soap costs $7 not including shipping. After shipping on their website it cost $12 for one bar of soap. After a quick search on Amazon, I found that you can buy a 24 pack of Irish Spring deodorant for $15, and a 4 pack of AOS soap (Very similar to Dr.Squatch in terms of ingredients) for $17. That is the only criticism I see when people talk about Dr.Squatch. Even with their prices being pretty high, they still have a lot of loyal customers that only buy their products.

    One thing I really like about Dr,Squatch is how responsive their social media team is on their posts. They reply to many different comments on each of their posts. I think this was a very good decision by them, because it builds a better connection with the customers and shows they care about their thoughts. If I was the brand manager I would do the same exact thing, because I think interaction will help grow the company and help develop long term customers.

    Throughout this analysis, I learned that natural products are going to come at a higher price. Also, their marketing team has done a really great job these last two years spreading the word around about their products. After writing this, I think I might buy a bar to try it out.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Marketing Post

Marketing In The News - Starbucks